Areas of Interest
My professional career has focused extensively on the educational promise and realities of museums and the potential for building formal and informal learning networks throughout our communities. At ILI, I am also deeply committed to using the results of research and evaluation to transform the institutions we serve.
- Old Sturbridge Village, President and CEO, June 2002 to June 2006
- Institute of Museum and Library Services:
Acting Director March 1999 - August 2001
Deputy Director June 1998 - March 1999, July 2001 - May 2002
- Chester County Historical Society, Associate Director, June 1989-April 1998
Recent Published & Presented Work
Meaningful Collaboration, In Principle, In Practice, Altamira Press, Lanham, MD, 2007
The Need to Know. History News, Spring 2007, Volume 62, #2. AASLH, Nashville, TN.
Thriving in a Knowledge Age, with John H. Falk, Altamira Press: Lanham, MD, 2006.
Museums and Libraries: Forums for the 21st Century, The Magazine of The Mary Baker Eddy Library for the Betterment of Humanity, Vol.2, Number 2. The Mary Baker Eddy Library: Boston, 2002.
Do We Make A Difference? Curator, January 2000
Museums, Libraries and the 21st Century Learner. The Institute of Museum and Library Services: Washington, DC, 2000
- M.A., Studio Art, Marywood University, Scranton, PA.
Concentration in painting
- B.A., Art and English, Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA.
- Association for State and Local History. Council Member
- American Association of Museums. Board of Directors, 2004 to present. National Program Committee Chair 2006-07.
- Creative Economy Advisory Committee. New England Council, 2003-2006.
- Creative Baltimore. Chair, Board of Directors, 2006-07.
- Partners in Public Service. Advisory Committee, Museum/Library/Public Television Collaborative Project, 2001—2004.
- American Antiquarian Society. Elected as a fellow, spring 2006.
- Institute for Learning Innovation. Chairman, Board of Directors, 2005. Board member, 2003 - 2006.
- Williamstown Art Conservation Center. Board of Directors, 2003 - 2005.
- Mary Baker Eddy Library for the Betterment of Humanity. Advisory Committee, 2002 to present.
- Pennsylvania Federation of Museums and Historical Organizations. President, Board of Trustees, 1995-97; Board of Trustees, 1992-98.
- Museum Loan Network. Project Steering Committee, Museums as Catalysts for Interdisciplinary Collaboration, 2000-2002.